1. People & Relationships

Discuss in our forum

Sheri & Bob Stritof

Faking It

By September 12, 2010

In June 2010, two scientists released their study on how often women fake orgasm. The results were in line with other recent studies on pretending orgasm.
"The scientists, Gayle Brewer of the University of Central Lancashire and Colin Hendrie of the University of Leeds, asked 71 women between the ages of 18 and 48 a series of questions ... it turned out that 'women were making conscious vocalizations in order to influence their partner rather than as a direct expression of sexual arousal' ... it was a tactic they used to induce their man to do something, like get it over with. In most cases, they were also trying to be nice. 'Importantly, 92 percent of participants felt very strongly that these vocalizations boosted their partner's self-esteem and 87 percent reported using them for this purpose.'"
Source: Brian Alexander. "Sorry, guys: Up to 80 percent of women admit faking it." MSNBC.msn.com. 6/30/2010.

One of the problems of faking it is giving "misinformation to one's partner, who is likely to think that this sexual activity is pleasing and should be repeated next time." We agree with the scientists who believe that "honesty is the best policy." Communication is one of the keys to great sex.

What do you think?

Comments
September 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm
(1) Mike says:

Just be honest….

September 16, 2010 at 10:48 am
(2) josepha says:

As a young woman, (in my early 20′s), I faked it because I JUST didn’t know that something more was required to reach an orgasm than having a man insert his penis and pull it in & out. I knew NOTHING about the Clitoris. I found out on my OWN, then when I was active, I could have more control & involvement and knew how to reach an orgasm and could TELL my mate, what I liked, and since then, I NEVER miss out on an orgasm.

September 16, 2010 at 7:18 pm
(3) Goldy55 says:

It really depends on your partner. If you have a loving, caring partner he will put your needs above his own & both can share the experience. On the other hand, my ex thought only about himself & 45 sec. later it was all over. When I would try to express my feelings about it, I felt dismissed & unloved. Most men either forget, don’t want to know or ? that women as they age need much more foreplay in order to get to an orgasm. Sex shouldn’t be rushed anyways. Sex is emotional for a woman; physical for a man……….thats the truth. If a woman doesn’t feel loved/cared for by her partner, sex won’t be the wonderful experience it should be. A bad sex life in marrige is the “kiss” of death to the relationship.

September 17, 2010 at 11:58 am
(4) Steve says:

Goldy,

Your view of sex as it relates to males and females may be true for you, but it’s far from a universal truth. When you rely on stereotypes and antiquated notions to define all men or all women, you stop relating to your partner as an individual with individual needs and desires.

September 18, 2010 at 9:27 am
(5) Nora Louis says:

As a young woman who is trying to get married to a man who barely satisfy her needs, tis fact has broadened my knowlege abt sex in a relationship.

September 21, 2010 at 7:37 pm
(6) Mrs. Levine says:

I was really surprised by the results of the poll, that most people think that faking it is wrong. I’m not a faker but I am an encourager. Sex is not always equal. One day you want it more, the next day he wants it more. If I’ve already had an orgasm and my husband hasn’t, I will most certainly give a little extra enthusiasm above what I’m feeling so that he can get his, too. I’m pretty sure he does the same for me, and I don’t see anything wrong with it. Faking all the time is no good but giving your partner an extra bit of passion when they need it is A-OK in my book.

December 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(7) Christian Alexander Tietgen says:

I don’t get why women would do this.

January 24, 2011 at 3:28 pm