Although she said she didn't believe in marriage, she portrayed many wives in marriages based on equality and respect.
Her first marriage to Ludlow Ogden Smith in 1928 ended in divorce in 1934. Her great love was Spencer Tracy, with whom she made nine movies and shared 27 years of her life.
Here are some of her more notable quotes on love and marriage:
- "Being a housewife and a mother is the biggest job in the world, but if it doesn't interest you, don't do it - I would have made a terrible mother."
- "I don't believe in marriage. It's bloody impractical. 'To love, honor, and obey.' If it weren't, you wouldn't have to sign a contract."
- "I often wonder whether men and women really suit eachother. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then."
- "If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many men for the criticism of one, go ahead, get married." (also attributed to her mother)
- "I've been loved, and I've been in love. There's a big difference."
- "Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get - only with what you are expecting to give - which is everything."
- "Marriage is a series of desperate arguments people feel passionately about."
- "My father, a surgeon and urologist, studied sex professionally all his life. Before he died at 82, he told me he hadn't come to any
conclusions about it at all."
- "Only when a woman decides not to have children, can a woman live like a man. That's what I've done."
- "Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then."