Second marriages have a higher divorce rate
than first marriages. Here are some remarriage tips to help make your second marriage a successful one.
- Take your time. Look before you leap the second time.
- Make sure you two have private time alone together.
- Learn how to compromise. You can't always have it your way.
- Don't try to be a super-stepparent. You won't succeed.
- Share your expectations with one another on a daily basis.
- Don't sweep issues under the rug. Fight fair.
- Keep your sense of humor.
- Be honest.
- Set ground rules about dealing with the children.
- Don't put down ex-spouses in front of the kids.
- Discuss money matters up front before you marry. Make provisions for how your prior assets will be passed down to your children in the event of death.
- Treat one another with kindness and respect.
- Learn from your pasts. Resolve any unfinished business from your previous relationships.