Here is information on how George and Barbara met, their wedding, children, quotes, and more.
Fast Marriage Facts - Barbara and George
Married: January 6, 1945.
First Marriage: Yes.
Did You Know?
They said it was love at first sight.
Born:George Herbert Walker Bush: June 12, 1924 in Milton, Massachusetts.
Barbara Pierce: June 8, 1925 in Bronx, New York.
How Barbara and George Met:George and Barbara met in 1941 at a prep-school Christmas dance when he was 17 years old and Barbara was 16 years old. Barbara was wearing an off-the-shoulder, green and red holiday dress. They've described that meeting as love at first sight. George and Barbara married within 3 years.
Barbara wrote George nearly every day while he was in Navy flight school. They announced their engagement in December 1943.
Wedding Date and Info:Barbara and George were married in the First Presbyterian Church in Rye, New York on January 6, 1945. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. John D. Gregory.
"Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore a gown of ivory satin, made with a fitted bodice embroidered with seed pearls and a full skirt. Her veil of heirloom princess and rosepoint lace belonged to the bridegroom's mother."
Source: The New York Times. 01/07/1945.
George and Barbara honeymooned at The Cloister on Sea Island, Georgia.
Children:George and Barbara have six children and numerous grand-children.
- George Walker Bush: Born July 6, 1946 in New Haven, Connecticut. George was the 43rd President of the U.S. and 46th Governor of Texas. Laura and George Bush Marriage Profile
- Pauline Robinson (Robin) Bush: Born on December 20, 1949 in Compton, California. Robin died in 1953 of leukemia.
- John Ellis (Jeb) Bush: Born February 11, 1953 in Midland, Texas. He was the 43rd Governor of Florida.
- Neil Mallon Bush: Born January 22, 1955 in Midland, Texas. Neil is a businessman.
- Marvin Pierce Bush: Born October 22, 1956 in Midland, Texas. Marvin is a businessman.
- Dorothy (Doro) Walker Bush: Born August 18, 1959 in Harris County, Texas. Doro's first marriage ended in divorce. Her second wedding was held at Camp David.
Residences:Throughout their marriage, George and Barbara lived in twenty-nine homes in seventeen cities. The White House was their 29th home.
Their first home was in Virginia Beach, Virginia. After George graduated from Yale, they moved to Odessa, Texas. They then lived in several cities in Californa, Houston, Texas, New York, New York, Washington, D.C., and China.
George and Barbara have a summer home at Kennebunkport, Maine.
Occupations:George H. Bush: 41st President, Vice-President, Director of the CIA, oil businessman, Navy air pilot during WWII, Congressman, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, chairman of the Republican National Committee, U.S. envoy to China.
Barbara Bush: During WWII, Barbara worked a summer job where she sorted nuts and bolts. When George was attending Yale, she worked at the Yale Coop until their first child was born.
Trivia:Barbara Bush is the second woman in U.S. history to have both a husband and a son serve as president. The first was Abigail Adams.
George and Barbara Bush are the first presidential couple to reach sixty years of marriage.