The Boomer Generation
The authors have organized this book around a time line of first discovering that you are going to be a grandparent, and takes you through the process of accepting and realizing the gift that your children are giving you by placing you in this new role.
Throughout the book, other grandparents share their thoughts and advice, along with the advice of child-care experts. It is very informative, and easy to read.
One chapter includes how baby care has changed, giving examples of "that was then" and "this is now" such as:
- Babies are no long put to sleep on their stomachs at night. "Medical experts agree that babies should sleep on their backs or sides to lessen the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.".
- Parents used to be cautioned about spoiling a baby. Today, experts claim that during the first few months of life a baby cannot be spoiled.
There's also a great refresher section on milestones in a child's life.
- Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows: Introduction
- Talking 'Bout Our Generation: Boomer's Newest Gig
- Good Vibratioins: The Expectant Grandparent
- I've Got to Be Me: Defining Your Grandparenting Role
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face: The New Grandparent
- We Can Work It Out: Dealing with Your Adult Child
- Bridge Over Troubled Water: Dealing with Blended and Nontraditional Families
- Walk Right In: When Your Grandchild Visits
- I've Got to Get a Message to You: The Long-Distance Grandparent
- The Long and Winding Road: Grandparents' Legal Issues
- There's Enough to Go Around: Sharing Your Financial Assets
- A Groovy Kind of Love: Becoming the Best Grandparent
- Who Can I Turn To?: Resources for Nanas and Papas