Although there are times in every marriage when one of you is talking and the other isn't listening, don't let that become an everyday situation. If you want to connect more with one another, try these communication and listening methods.
- If your spouse wants to communicate with you, stop what you are doing so that you can give your spouse your full attention.
- When talking with your spouse, maintain eye contact.
- When you don't want to be distracted while talking with one another, choose a neutral location to have your conversation.
- It is important to remember to listen to one another without interrupting.
- Don't jump to conclusions about what your spouse is saying.
- If you need clarification of what your spouse has said, ask questions, but don't point fingers.
- Respond without being critical of what your spouse has said.
- Be affirmative and supportive.
- Decide together to make time to have alone time with each other on a regular basis -- preferably once a week.