Marriage Fast Facts - Beth and Dog
Met: Late 1980s.
Married: May 20, 2006.
First Marriage: No.
Did You Know?
A canoe was Duane's choice of transportation for arriving at their wedding.
Beth Smith: Aka Alice Elizabeth Smith. October 29, 1967 in Denver, Colorado.
How Duane and Beth Met and Wedding Date:
Their wedding date is May 20, 2006.
After consulting with Duane's surviving children, the couple decided to have their wedding as planned and to celebrate the life of Duane's daughter who died the day before the wedding.
The wedding was on the Big Island in Hawaii at sunset at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Duane arrived at the wedding by canoe.
Boris Krutonog, the co-executive producer of their show was Duane's best man. Rev. Tim Story was the officiant at their wedding ceremony.
Wedding Attire:Duane Chapman wore a white leather vest, boots, white jeans, and American Indian jewelry. Beth's wedding gown was an Eduardo Lucero design made of off-white lace gown and a nude backing.
HoneymoonTheir planned honeymoon to Fiji was postponed because of the death of Duane's daughter, Barbara.
Children:In interviews Duane mentions having twelve children. We can only find documentation on eleven children.
- Christopher Michael Hecht: Born abt. 1972. Adopted in 1978 after his biological mother, Debbie White, committed suicide. In his 20s, Christopher was reunited with Dog.
Source: Duane Dog Chapman. You Can Run But You Can't Hide. 2007. pg 148.
- Duane Lee Chapman II: Born 1/21/1973. Duane's mother is La Fonda. Along with financial and retirement consulting, Duane worked in the family bounty business for a few years. He married Teresa R. Roybal on 12/01/1999. They divorced in 2008.
- Leland Blaine Chapman: Born on December 14, 1976 in Groom, Texas. His mother is LaFonda. He worked with his dad in the bail bonds business and was a professional boxer, kick boxer, and extreme fighter.
Source: Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 Record. Leland and his ex-wife Maui have two sons, Dakota (born 1995) and Cobie (born 2000).
- Zebediah Duane Chapman: Premature son of Duane. Born on January 1, 1980 in University, Colorado. He died on January 31, 1980. Mother is Anne Tegnell.
- Barbara Katie "B.K." Chapman aka Barbara Katy Chapman: Born 6/8/1982 in Denver, Colorado, she died at age 23 on 5/19/2006 in Fairbanks, Alaska in a high speed car accident reportedly involving drugs. Her mother is Lyssa Greene. Source of name spelling
- Barbara's son, Travis Drake-Lee Mimms Jr, and his dad live in Hawaii. His dad worked with Duane and Beth.
- Tucker Dee Chapman: Born September 8, 1983. Mother is Lyssa Greene. Sentenced at age 18 for armed robbery, Tucker served 4 years of a 20 year sentence. He was released from prison on parole in May 2006. In late February 2008, Tucker Chapman was arrested for alleged parole violations.
- Lyssa "Baby Lyssa" Rae Chapman: Born 6/10/1987. Currently working with her dad on the Dog the Bounty Hunter show. Her mother is Lyssa Greene. Lyssa married Brahman "Bo" Galanti in 2/2009 and filed for divorce in 2/2010.
- Lyssa Chapman Galanti has two daughters: Abbie Mae Chapman and Madalynn Grace Galanti.
- Wesley Chapman: Born c.1980.
- Cecily Barmore Chapman: Born c.1992/1993. Father is Keith Barmore. Mother is Beth Smith.
- Bonnie Jo Chapman. Born c. 1998/1999. Mother is Beth Smith.
- Gary Chapman. Born c. 2000/2001 in Hawaii. Mother is Beth Smith.
Beth has four children. She lost custody of her first child, Dominic Davis, when she was 17. Dominic was an adult when he was reunited with Beth after Duane located him. Beth is also is the mother of Cecily. She has two children with Duane: Bonnie Jo and Gary.
Occupations:Duane and Beth are stars of , Dog and Beth: On the Hunt on CMT and Doug the Bounty Hunter on the A&E network and own Da Kine Bail Bonds in Honolulu and three bonding companies in Colorado. Years earlier, he was arrested 18 times, spent time in prison, and was a Kirby vacuum salesman and welder.
Beth worked as a bail bondsman, bounty hunter, gymnast, ice-skater, nightclub singer, and clerk.
Both Beth and Duane have previous marriages.
Residences:Beth and Duane have homes in Hawaii and Castle Rock, Colorado.
Religion:Duane is a born-again Christian.
Quotes About the Love and Marriage of Dog and Beth:Beth, about Duane's house arrest, 9/20/06: "I got him where I want him. … This is going to work out splendidly."
Duane, about getting married: "I've already been cuffed and shackled by Beth anyway. She's Italian and tough."
Beth, about her relationship with Duane: "He flirts with me, me makes the effort, he takes time to connect with me. He buys me flowers all the time, leaves surprise treats and goodies for me, and writes love notes. He rubs my feet, takes the long drive home to show me the sunset, tells me I'm sexy all the time, even when I'm screaming and hollering at him. He's respectful, open, passionate, and not afraid to show it in public."
Source: Dog the Bounty Hunter
Duane about prayer in their marriage: "We pray if we get in an argument really bad -— we stop and hold our hands and we pray and [say], "Lord, calm her down right now. [Chuckles]. Lord, calm us down."
Source: Dena Ross, interview. "Dog the Faithful Bounty Hunter." Beliefnet.com
Beth, talking to Duane about divorce: "You won't get divorced again; we won't divorce! I won't let it happen."
Source: StarBulletin.com. 11/27/2005.
News Headlines:10/25/2011: Dog and Beth were awarded temporary custody of their nine-year-old grandson, Travis Mimms Jr., after a judge heard a tape that allegedly reveals the boy being beaten by his father.
Duane Chapman: "To hear the audiotape of my grandson being abused was torture. We all hope and pray that Travis Sr will be able to raise his son with the love and respect he deserves, because it's in everyone’s best interest for them to have a proper father-son relationship."
Source: Leon Watson. "Heartbroken Dog the Bounty Hunter given custody of his grandson after son-in-law accused of beating the child." DailyMail.co.uk. 10/25/2011.
6/16/2008: Dog the Bounty Hunter returned with a brand new season on July 16 at 9PM ET/PT.
11/04/2007: After Tucker Chapman released a taped conversation with his father that included racist remarks about interracial dating, A&E decided to indefinitely remove the show from the network's schedule. Duane Chapman issued an apology.
Source: Jaymes Song, "A&E Pulls 'Dog' Series From Schedule", SFGate.com
8/17/2007: Although Mexico dismissed all charges against Dog Chapman, Leland Chapman and Tim Chapman, the bond remains in effect due to a federal magistrate's decision. Additionally, the Mexico ruling has been appealed by state prosecutors.
9/16/2006: "Dog" Chapman was released after spending the night in a federal detention center. Bail for Duane Chapman was set at $300,000 and bail for Leland Chapman and Tim Chapman was set at $100,000 each. They all have to wear electronic monitoring devices until their extradition hearing.