Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor III was born on December 1, 1940 in Peoria, Illinois.
Health Concerns:Richard has numerous health problems as he grew older. According to his own website, he had two heart attacks, and a quadruple by-pass surgery. In June, 1980, he set himself on fire and had third degree burns over 50 percent of his body. Pryor was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1986 and in his later years was confined to a wheelchair.
Richard Pryor died in San Fernando Valley, California at an Encino hospital at on December 10, 2005 at approximately 8 a.m. at the age of 65. The cause of his death has been listed as heart failure.
Pryor's family will hold a private memorial service for the comedian. A larger invitation-only memorial is being planned for a date still to be determined.
After the fire incident, to protect his privacy, he purchased a one-bedroom home on a five-acre estate on Maui.
Richard's last home, purchased in 1995 and shared with 2 dogs, Homer and Spirit, was a modest ranch-style house in Encino, California.
According to an interview, Jennifer rents her own house with 7 dogs. Located "a few minutes down the street", it has cameras at surveillance angles so she can check on Richard from her home. Jennifer has never lived with him since they remarried.
Richard Pryor had difficulty in handling his personal relationships and was married seven times. Due to Richard's anger, depression, and violent nature, his seven marriages appear to have had one thing in common: not lasting very long.
- Patricia Price was Richard's first wife. They were married from 1960 to 1961. The marriage ended in divorce. They had one son, Richard, Jr.
- Shelly R. Bonus was Richard's second wife. Shelly is an astronomer, writer, and civil rights advocate. Their marriage which ended in divorce, lasted from 1967 to 1969. They had one daughter, Rain.
- Deborah McGuire, an actress, was Richard's third wife. Although she dropped the charges filed against him, Richard was arrested for chasing Deborah and two of her friends across the lawn of their home with his car. He reportedly shot her Mercedes with a .357 Magnum. They divorced in 1977.
- Jennifer Lee was Richard's fourth wife. Jennifer is an actress, singer, and producer. Jennfier was brought up in Cropseyville, New York. She met Richard in 1977, when a friend suggested that she help decorate Richard's house.
Their marriage started with violence on their honeymoon in the Caribbean, in August 1981, when he threw a glass at her. She had an ectopic pregnancy, but says that she never wanted to have children with Richard and was relieved when the pregnancy ended.
- After being nearly strangled, and beat with fists and bottles, Jennifer divorced him in October 1982 and moved to New York.
- Richard's fifth wife was Flynn BeLaine who he met in 1984 in Washington, D.C. Flynn is an actress, producer, and writer. Married in October 1986, they divorced a few months later in January 1987.
- Richard remarried Flynn on April 1, 1990, making her his sixth wife. They divorced in 1991.
- In June 2001, Richard remarried Jennifer Lee, his seventh wife.
Richard had seven children.
- Renee was born in 1957.
- Richard, Jr. was born in 1961. His mother is Patrica Price.
- Elizabeth Anne was born in April, 1967. Her mother is Maxine Anderson, aka Maxine Silverman.
- Rain was born July 16, 1969 in Los Angeles, California. Her mother is Shelly Bonus. Rain is an actress, singer, writer and producer. She married Kevin Kindlin, a family therapist, in 2002.
- Stephen was born in the fall of 1984. His mother is Flynn BeLaine.
- Kelsey was born in the fall of 1987. Her mother is Flynn BeLaine.
- Franklin Matthew Mason was born in 1987. His mother is Geraldine Mason.
Occupations:Occupations Richard Pryor served a few years with the U.S. Army, from 1958 to 1960, before beginning his career as a comedian and actor.
Books and DVDs"If I Stop I'll Die: The Comedy and Tragedy of Richard Pryor"
by John A. Williams and Dennis A. Williams