It is during these times that your feelings of loss and being alone may be heightened.
Coping Ideas to Help You Through the Holidays
- Take each day as it comes. Don't anticipate feeling horrid through those days that were special for the two of you.
- Share your thoughts and feelings about the holidays with someone you trust.
- Be realistic about what you can do during the holidays, both time wise and financially.
- Accept invitations to spend time with friends and family members.
- If your loved one has died, it can be healing to do something symbolic in remembrance. Plant a tree at a public park or a rose bush at your church, etc. Prepare your loved one's favorite dessert.
- Begin a new tradition.
- Buy a new ornament for the tree that symbolizes your new beginning.
- Help others - do some volunteering at a shelter, food bank, thrift store, animal shelter, etc.
- Stop by a local Angel Tree and buy something for someone less fortunate.
- Accept your feelings of loss and sadness, but remember it is okay and healthy for you to make a decision to get on with your life.