According to Kathy Belge
, Lambda Legal Defense says "more than 1,400 legal rights are conferred upon heterosexual married couples in the United States." Here are a few of those rights and benefits for married couples.
- Married individuals generally earn more income than single persons.
- Increased Social Security and other government benefits.
- Longer life, better health habits.
- More frequent sex.
- Credit protection.
- Ability to make hospital visits and medical decisions for each other.
- Tax breaks and probate and inheritance benefits.
- Life long companion.