Although together for many years, Dalia and Fidel Castro were not married until 1980 in a quiet ceremony.>Here's information about their marriage, Fidel's children, and his other relationships.
Dalia Soto del Valle: Born abt. mid-1940s. Dalia is from the south-central city of Trinidad.
How Fidel and Dalia Met:
- Fidel "Fidelito" Castro Diaz-Balart: Born on September 1, 1949. Studied nuclear physics. His mother is Mirta Díaz-Balart.
- Alina Fernández-Revuelta: Born on March 3, 1956. Her mother is Natalia "Naty" Revuelta. She has been a radio personality in Miami, Florida and is the author of Castro's Daughter: An Exile's Memoir of Cuba.
- Alexis Castro Soto del Valle: He is a computer programmer. His mother is Dalia Soto del Valle.
- Alexander Castro Soto del Valle: Born abt. 1965. He is a computer systems manager. His mother is Dalia Soto del Valle.
- Antonio Castro Soto del Valle: An orthopedic surgeon. His mother is Dalia Soto del Valle.
- Angel Castro Soto del Valle: Born abt. 1975. He studied medicine. His mother is Dalia Soto del Valle.
- Jorge Angel Castro: Born mid-1950s. His mother is Maria Laborde. Other sources give his mother's name as Amparo. Jorge is married and has four children.
Source: The Real Fidel Castro by Leycester Coltman, page 100.
Occupations:Fidel: President of Cuba, lawyer.
Dalia: School teacher, secretary.
Previous Marriage and Long-term Relationship:
- Mirta Díaz-Balart: Born abt. 1926. Mirta was a philosophy student when she and Fidel met at the university cafeteria when introduced to one another by her brother Rafael in 1946. Although Mirta was warned against marrying Fidel, she went against her family's wishes and they were married in a Roman Catholic Church in Banes, Oriente Province, Cuba, on October 12, 1948.
The couple's three-month long honeymoon in New York City was financed by Mirta's father. They landed in Miami and took the train to New York.
- They divorced in 1955 while Fidel was in exile. The divorce was reportedly due to Fidel's being unfaithful in addition to his lack of attention to their son, his many trips from home, and his lack of responsibility in finances.
Mirta married one of Fidel's political enemies, Dr. Emilio Nunez Blanco, in October 1956. They had two daughters, Mirta and America Silvia. Both daughters live in Spain. Emilio died in July 2006 from Alzheimer's disease.
- Celia Sánchez Manduley: Born on May 9, 1920 in Manzanillo, Cuba. They lived together for nearly 30 years, from mid-1950s to 1980. Celia died of cancer on January 11, 1980.
Quotes About the Marriage of Fidel Castro:
Source: Guerilla Prince: The Untold Story of Fidel Castro by Georgie Anne Geyer, page 67.