- Take a bike ride together to the store instead of driving your car.
- Stop the thermostat wars. Agree on a temperature that the two of you can live with and leave it there.
Setting Your Thermostat
- Decide together on an environmental cause where you can donate your time and/or money.
Environmental Organizations and Causes
- Try to use public transportation more often. With one of you not having to pay attention to driving, you can both enjoy the ride.
- Spend one of your days off planting a tree in your yard. If you don't have a yard, see if local parks or churches accept donations of trees.
Trees You Should Plant
- Put more plant-based meals into your diet. Plan these menus together.
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- Make a date to wash and dry dishes together the old fashioned way.
Make Washing Dishes Fun
- Choose a day to be as unplugged as you can be.
Reasons to Turn Off Your TV
- As you share house cleaning chores, consider going the green cleaning route.
What is Green Cleaning?
- Check into using those swirl-shaped compact fluorescent light bulbs.
Change a Light Bulb and Change the World
- On a sunny, breezy day, spend time together hanging your laundry outside. Note: This is not recommended if anyone in your family has allergies.
Laundry Basics -- Air Drying & Other Tips
- As you plan your next vacation together, think about ecotourism.
Tips for Planning an Ecotourism Trip
- Consider purchasing green power.
- Even if you don't think you have the space, you can set up recycling bins. Plan this project together.
- Consider giving green gifts to one another.
- When you go for a walk together, take a couple plastic bags and pick up trash as you walk. (suggested by our daughter, Judy)
Send your "Being Green" in your marriage suggestions to email@example.com