- Use muted, soothing colors in your bedroom.
- It is recommended that your bedroom not be located below a second floor bathroom.
- If possible, have your bedroom towards the back of the house.
- Shut the door to any attached bathroom.
- Keep your bedroom neat and tidy and uncluttered.
- Don't place your bed under a window.
- Make sure your bed has a direct view of the door.
- Your mattress should be at least 18 inches above the floor.
- Don't store things under your bed.
- Have space on either side of your bed.
- Have a solid headboard for your bed.
- If you divorce, buy a new mattress and headboard.
- Feng Shui experts say that a king size bed is not a good choice for a couple.
However, the Better Sleep Council recommends that couples choose a queen or king size mattress that will give you both enough room for easy, free movement while you sleep.
Accessories and Lighting in Your Bedroom
- Keep water scenes, aquariums or fountains out of your bedroom.
- Don't place flowers or plants in your bedroom.
- Make sure you don't have a mirror that reflects the two of you in bed.
- Don't sleep under a ceiling fan.
- Keep lighting soft and low.
- Candles help make your bedroom more relaxing.
- Don't have a lot of pictures of your children and family in your bedroom.
- Televisions and computers in bedrooms are not recommended.
If you have to have one in your bedroom, put it in an armoire, so you can shut the door on it when it is not in use.