Although we don't recommend comparing your sex life to what sex statistics say others consider to be normal, it can be interesting to see how often other couples have intercourse.
Woman's Day -- Sex By the Numbers (2011):
In December 2011, Sarah Jio compiled interesting statistics about sex
and experts' opinions about the stats. Here are a few of her findings.
- 84% of women have sex to get their guy to do more around the house.
- 12% of married people sleep alone.
- The average person has sex 103 times per year.
- 48% of women have faked an orgasm.
Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey -- Sexual Satisfaction (2011) Highlights:
In 2011, the Durex survey asked about
the frequency of sex versus people's satisfaction levels. When looking at both scores, Japan was among the lowest, but the U.S. and U.K. were lower than many other countries. There is also a "range of activities chart"
- "Satisfaction with what we do 'in the bedroom' is mediocre ... we're not as happy as we could be or want to be."
- "Almost 2/3 of us don't feel we have sex often enough."
- "Half believe our sex lives lack excitement & variety."
Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey -- Sexual Satisfaction (2010) Highlights:
- 44% "are fully satisfied with their sex lives."
- 48% "usually orgasm. Globally, twice as many men (64%) as women regularly have orgasms."
- "Those over 65 are still having sex more than once a week."
- "Mutual respect plays a vital role in a satisfying sex life. Eighty two per cent of us who are sexually satisfied say they feel respected by our partner during sex. Thirty nine per cent are looking for more love and romance, 36% would like more quality time alone with their partner, 31% would like more fun and better communication and intimacy with their partner and 29% a higher sex drive. Thirty seven per cent want to feel less stressed out and tired."
Durex Survey (2003) Highlights:
- People have sex an average of 127 times a year.
- Three quarters of those polled are happy with their sex lives.
- Eastern Europeans (Hungarians, Bulgarians, and Russians) are the most sexually active (150).
- David Beckham was chosen as the sexiest man. George Clooney and Ben Affleck round out the top three.
- Jennifer Lopez was chosen as the sexiest woman. Catherine Zeta Jones came in second. Halle Berry and Britney Spears tied for third place.
- 45% of those taking the survey reported having a one night stand.
- Those in Thailand, China, and Vietnam were the most contented with their sex life.
- Fins and Russians were the least happy.
- Americans were low on the frequency list in 2003 at 118 times per year.
- The three countries with the lowest sexual frequency were Sweden (102), Maylasia (100), and Singapore (96).
- 48% of women admitted to faking an orgasm.
Durex Survey (2001) Highlights:
- Americans appear to have the most sex at 132 times a year, with the Russians close behind at 122 times a year, the French at 121, and the Greeks at 115.
- The countries with the lowest frequency of sex are Japan (37 times per), Malaysia (62) and China (69).
- Couples living together report having sex 146 times per year.
- Married couples make love 98 times per year.
- Single folks are having sex the least at 49 times a year.
- Four percent of the respondents to the survey claim to have sex daily.
- 57% say they have sex at least once per week.
- "People around the world would rather go out with their friends than have sex. More than a fifth (22%) choose their peers rather than having sex with a partner (19%), while a further 10% prefer to either play sport or go shopping."