Most reports state James Brown as having had eight children, eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
- Teddy Brown: Born in 1954. A musician and dancer, Teddy had his own group, Teddy Brown and the Torches. [
On June 14, 1973, Teddy was killed at age 19 in an automobile accident near Elizabethtown, New York. He was a passenger in a car that hit a concrete bridge abutment. His funeral was at the Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Toccoa, Georgia. His mother is Velma Warren.
- Terry Brown: His mother is Velma Warren. Terry is married to Dahlia.
- Larry Brown: His mother is Velma Warren.
- Venisha Brown:
- Dr. Yamma Noyola Brown Lumar: Married Atlanta businessman Darren-Anthony Lumar in August 1999 at the Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in Norcross, Georgia. Her mother is Deidre Jenkins.
- Deanna Crisp Brown Thomas: Deanna has worked as a local radio talk show host, a television entertainment reporter, and as Vice CEO of James Brown Enterprises.
She married Shawn Thomas in October 1997 at Runs Missionary Baptist Church in Beech island, South Carolina. Shawn has been CEO of several business and was co-owner with James of World Ribs & Wings in Augusta, Georgia.
Deanna's mother is Deidre Jenkins. Deanna lives in Beech Island.
- Daryl Brown: Performed as a guitarist in his dad's band. Daryl is married to Stacy.
- James Joseph Brown II: Born June 11, 2001. His mother is Tomi Hynie.