Source: Ken Ritter. "O.J. gets at least 9 years for armed hotel robbery." SFGate.com. 12/5/08.
10/03/08: Found guilty of 12 counts of armed robbery and kidnapping, O.J. Simpson was handcuffed and removed from the courtroom.
Red Flags Prior to Being Married:
Nicole's sister, Denise Brown, has said that her goal is "to break the cycle of violence, that often starts with verbal and emotional abuse, and escalates into physical abuse ... I was the first to say that Nicole was not abused -- because I didn't know. I only learned about what happened to Nicole through her notes and diaries."
Source: Eileen O. Daday, DailyHerald.com, 9/12/07.
Orenthal James Simpson: July 9, 1947 in San Francisco, California.
O.J. served 16 months in custody after being arrested for the murder of Nicole and Ronald Goldman. He was found not guilty in the criminal trial, but later was found liable for their deaths in a civil suit.
How Nicole and O.J. Met:O.J. and Nicole met in 1977 at The Daisy, a Beverly Hills nightclub where she was a waitress. Nicole was 18 and O.J. was 30 and married when they met.
O.J.: Actor, sportscaster, professional football player.
Wedding Date:Nicole and O.J. were married on February 2, 1985. Nicole's sister, Denise Brown, was maid of honor and Marcus Allen was an usher at the wedding. OJ was 37 years old and Nicole was 25 years old.
"In February 1985, when Nicole was pregnant with their first child, Mr. Simpson married her under a tent at his Brentwood mansion."
Source: Michael Rimer and Sara Janofsky, New York Times, "A Troubled Life Unfolds", June 26, 1994.
- Justin Ryan Simpson: Born August 1988. His mother is Nicole Brown.
- Sydney Brooke Simpson: Born October 1985. Her mother is Nicole Brown.
- Arnelle L. Simpson: Born December 1968. Her mother is Marguerite Whitley.
- Jason L. Simpson: Born April 1970. His mother is Marguerite Whitley.
- Aaren Lashone Simpson: Born September 24, 1977. Aaren died in August 1979. Aaren drowned in the family swimming pool. Her mother is Marguerite Whitley.
"By the time of the murder trial in 1995, the Los Angeles prosecution had compiled a list of his abusive behavior which contained 62 separate incidents of physical and mental mistreatment, in addition to numerous threats and examples of control manipulation he had carried out."
Source: Thomas L. Jones, "Ordinary People." CrimeLibrary.com.
O.J. and Marguerite separated in October 1978 and divorced in 1979. They had 3 children together.
O.J. Simpson Marriage/Relationship Timeline and Quotes :
- 1967, Jun 24: O.J. and Marguerite Whitley marry.
- 1968, Dec: Birth of daughter Arnelle.
- 1970, Apr: Birth of son Jason.
- 1977, Sep 24: Birth of daughter Aaren.
- 1977: O.J. and Nicole meet and start dating.
- 1977: Report of domestic violence in Brown/Simpson relationship.
- 1978, Oct: Marguerite and O.J. separate.
- 1979: Marguerite and O.J. divorce.
- 1979, Aug: Death of daughter Aaren.
- 1985, Feb 2: O.J. and Nicole marry.
- 1985, Oct: Birth of daughter Sydney.
- 1988, Aug: Birth of son Justin.
- 1989, Jan 1: 911 call from Nicole.
- 1992: O.J. and Nicole separate.
- 1992, Oct 15: Nicole and O.J. divorce.
- 1993, Mar: Apparent reconciliation between Nicole and O.J.
- 1993, Oct 25: 911 call from Nicole.
- 1994, May: Apparent final breakup of Nicole and O.J.
- 1994, Jun 12: Brutal death of Nicole.
- 1994, Jun 17: Arrest of O.J. Simpson for the murder of Nicole and Ronald Goldman.
- 1995, Jan 24: Start of murder trial.
- 1995, Oct 3: O.J. Simpson declared not guilty in murder trial.
O.J. to Esquire Magazine, 1998: "Let's say I committed this crime ... even if I did do this, it would have been because I loved her very much, right?"
Nicole in letter to O.J., undated: "I see our marriage as a huge mistake & you don't. I knew what went on in our relationship before we got married. I knew after 6 years that all the things I thought were going on -- were! ... I just don't see how our stories compare -- I was so bad because I wore sweats & left shoes around & didn't keep a perfect house or comb my hair the way you liked it -- or had dinner ready at the precise moment you walked through the door or that I just plain got on your nerves sometimes. I just don't see how that compares to infidelity, wife beating verbal abuse --"
Dr. Susan Forward, Nicole's therapist: "She was battered incessantly, regularly, all the time. I'm not saying 24 hours a day, but the incidents of battering were extraordinarily high."
Source: Anne McDermott, CNN.com, "Nicole Simpson Profile", January 19, 1995.
Shelley Levitt: "There were, after all, many witnesses to the abuse in the Simpson marriage. Friends and family members say O.J. humiliated Nicole in bars and restaurants. Neighbors heard him screaming threats and obscenities. The Brown family saw photographs of her battered face following the infamous 1989 New Year's Day beating. The police, answering her 911 calls, saw a beaten and frightened Nicole and had no doubt that O.J. was her tormentor ... "One of the most amazing things to me when you study the Simpson case is that it appeared intervention failed at every level," says San Diego deputy city attorney Casey Gwinn, who runs that city's domestic violence unit. "Police didn't write reports when they went to the house. Simpson was not put in jail. Friends and family didn't confront him."
Source: People Weekly, "Facing the rage: it was no secret that Nicole Simpson was abused, yet nobody - friends, family or police - effectively came to her aid", February 20, 1995.