Here's information we could verify about Saddam Hussein's marriages and children.
News Updates:12/30/06: Saddam Husssein died by hanging at an undisclosed location near Baghdad. Although he left instructions for his family, he did not ask to see his wife or any of his children.
11/05/06: Sentenced to hang for crimes against humanity, Saddam Hussein appeared both shaken and defiant. He will still stand trial for genocide against the Kurds.
Saddam Hussein (also spelled Husayn) aka Saddam Hussein al-Tikriti and Saddam Al-Tikriti Hussein: April 28, 1937 in al-Auja near Tikrit, Iraq.
Died:Saddam Hussein: Executed December 30, 2006 near Baghdad, Iraq. Saddam's death by hanging at age 69 was for his conviction of crimes against humanity for a 1982 massacre of 148 Shiite Muslims in Dujail. Although prior to his death he left messages for his family, he did not ask to see his wife or any of his children.
Saddam was buried near Tikrit in Awja on December 31, 2006.
Saddam Hussein was married twice.
- Sajida Khairallah Tulfah (also spelled Tilfah) aka Sajidah Khair-Allah: Their marriage was arranged when Saddam was 5 years old and Sajida was 7 years old. Sajida is Saddam's maternal first cousin. They met at their wedding in 1958 in Egypt. Some sources state 1963 as their wedding date. Sajida and Saddam had five children together.
- On July 2, 2006 she was placed on Iraq's most wanted list for several crimes including financing insurgents, embezzlement, and torture. Sajida is believed to be living in Qatar.
- Samira Shahbandar: Married in 1986. Saddam forced her husband to divorce her. Samira and Saddam have one son. In 2003, She was reportedly living in Beirut, Lebanon with her family and grandchildren.
"Saddam Hussein's brother-in-law has been arrested by coalition forces. That's good news. They acted on a tip from Saddam Hussein. ... Saddam's three ex-wives have left the country, his brother-in-law has been arrested, boy we are really making his life a living hell aren't we?"
Source: Political Humor at About.com.
Saddam had 5 children (two sons and three daughters) with Sajida:
- Uday (Odai) Hussein: Born June 18, 1964 in Baghdad, Iraq. Died at age 39 on July 22, 2003 in Mosul, Iraq. Buried in a Tikrit area cemetery.
- Qusay (Qusai) Hussein: Born May 17, 1966. Married a general's daughter, Lama Rashid. They reportedly divorced. Died on July 22, 2003 in Mosul, Iraq. Buried in a Tikrit area cemetery.
- Rana Hussein: Born in 1969. Married Hussein Kamel al-Majid. They defected to Jordan in 1995. Assured of their safety, they returned to Iraq in February, 1996. Three days later, her husband was killed as a traitor. In summer 2003, she and her four children received sanctuary in Jordan.
- Raghad Hussein: Born abt. 1967. Married Saddam Kamel al-Majid. They defected to Jordan in 1995. Assured of their safety, they returned to Iraq in February, 1996. Three days later, her husband was killed as a traitor. In summer 2003, she and her five children received sanctuary in Jordan. She organized a legal team to defend her father. On July 2, 2006 she was placed on Iraq's most wanted list.
- Hala Hussein: Born in 1979. Married to General Jamal (Kamal) Mustafa Abdallah Sultan al-Tikriti. He surrendered to the U.S. in April 2003. She has two children.
Saddam and Samira had one son:
- Ali Hussein: Born abt. 1987.
Occupations:Saddam: President of Iraq from 1979 through 2003. Author of several novels.
Sajida: Primary school teacher.
Quotes:Saddam Hussein, 1978 to Al-Mar'a magazine : "The most important thing about marriage is that the man must not let the woman feel downtrodden simply because she is a woman and he is a man."
Source: Washington Post